Legal Question in Family Law in New York

The last question I asked and the response that came with it really didnt help me see the thing is I have no parents my father is jail and my mother passed away but neither one of them had custody of me it was my grandmother then she passed and one of my aunts on my dads side took me and my sister in then she moved out at 17 and started living on her own then last summer I moved in with my mothers sister thinking I would be happier but I wasn't and then her husband sexually harresed me so I moved out under the circumstances I was permitted to stay with sister and now she wants custody of me and I want to live with her and my question is if she lives with someone else and they say no to letting me stay with them but my sister says yes will the judge permit me to stay

Asked on 7/09/13, 9:55 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Philip Katz Fink & Katz, PLLC

You need to sit down with a lawyer. Your description of the sequence of events is not very clear. In order to change the custody of a child from a parent to a non-parent, the person who desires custody must show that there are extraordinary circumstances exist to change the custody and that it is in the child's best interests to award custody to a particular non-parent.

Read more
Answered on 7/09/13, 5:25 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York