Legal Question in Family Law in New York

I have currently recvieved a notice saying that my wages are going to be garnished for unpaid child support. Apparently I have been being charged child support for the last 3 years, all while I have had custody of my child. The original order was issued because my mother had him, and was receiving a Grandparent caregiver payment from social services. Social services then inturn came after me for support. We had taken custody back 3 years ago, and they never modified the order, so all this time the child support has been wracking up. I now live in Maryland and am not sure what I can do. AM I responsible for ALL of that child support that has been charged to me even though I have had FULL custody of my son? What steps can I take to resolve this since I now live 400 miles from NY. I appreciate any help.

Asked on 1/11/16, 10:53 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

You will need to seek a retroactive modification of the court order.

Read more
Answered on 1/11/16, 12:28 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York