Legal Question in Family Law in New York

Is a Spanish Custody and Child Support degree valid in the United States? I am a US citizen (so are children) and the father is a Dutch citizen residing in the US. At the time of separation we were residing in Barcelona, Spain and court case was in Spain. Please advise. Thank you.

Asked on 8/20/10, 11:21 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Joel Salinger Law Office of Joel R. Salinger

The courts in the United States will give full credit to a foreign decree in most situations. You should consult with an attorney in your area with the documents to determine what the circumstances you face. A Spanish decree will most likely be upheld.

If you would like a free consultation you can contact my office at 516-746-4747.

Read more
Answered on 8/25/10, 3:03 pm

David Centeno The Law Office of David Centeno, PLLC

Yes, the US court give what is called full faith and credit to legally obtained orders from other countries.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Feel free to get in touch to discuss your situation further. (866) 830-2064. We are located in Manhattan.

Read more
Answered on 8/25/10, 4:26 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York