Legal Question in Family Law in New York

My wife and I were married in New York, she is an NY citizen and I am a UK citizen. After over 6 months, we have agreed to divorce for irreconcilable differences. We don't own any property or have any children together so there are no disputes. However, she won't file for the divorce and I don't have the time or money to go to New York to file for it. Would it be possible to file for divorce and complete the process from the UK, and would I be able to do it without a lawyer?

Asked on 8/06/12, 11:47 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Steve Brodsky Esq.

Yes, you can do it from the UK with no problem, however, you won't be able to do it without a lawyer, since someone must personally file several documents at the court house. If you need a fast, low-cost service, contact our law office.

Read more
Answered on 8/07/12, 8:02 am
Leta Liou The Law Firm of Liou & Maisonet, PLLC

Hi there, You can file an uncontested divorce here in New York, based on your spouse's residence in New York. An attorney can assist you in the process. An uncontested divorce in New York can be done inexpensively and generally without the need for a court appearance.

For your convenience, our office can help you complete the process via email as well. Feel free to call for a free telephone consultation.


Leta Liou, Esq.

The Law Firm of Liou & Maisonet, PLLC

124 Nassau Street, Suite 2

New York, New York 10038

(646) 587-0188

Read more
Answered on 8/07/12, 11:41 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York