Legal Question in Civil Litigation in New York

How Do I Get a Name Change in NYC?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I hope someone can help. I need to get a legal name change in NYC and want to do it myself, but am having a terribly hard time figuring out exactly what to do. I know it costs some money and takes a few months and I know I need a form (I've seen versions of it) and need to file it and such and then post in a newspaper and such, but all the courts I've contacted (and web sites I've searched) have been very unhelpful. I'm originally from another state and have my birth certificate. I need to know specifics of what forms, which courts and what order I need to do everything in. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Asked on 11/18/05, 12:02 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Bunji Fromartz Fromartz Law Offices

Name Change in Supreme and NYC Civil Courts

Go to the following website of your choice, and download the documents, file them in Civil or Supreme court (Civil is less costly but involves more legwork, Supreme costs a little more but is quicker.) There are special requirements if you are a greencard holder or naturalized citizan and notice has to be given to any spouse, any ex-spouse being supported, any children or guardians of your children you might have. I favor Supreme Court as being neater.

Supreme Court:

NYC Civil Court:

Read more
Answered on 11/18/05, 11:25 am
Stephen Loeb Law Office of Stephen R. Loeb

Re: How Do I Get a Name Change in NYC?

I know you said you don't want to use an attorney but if you'd like to make sure its done right and in a time effective fashion we can help you.

Should you like to discuss this or any other legal matter, you can e-mail me for more information about low cost face-to-face, on-line, or a telephone consultation with a lawyer in our office.

Read more
Answered on 11/21/05, 10:38 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in New York