Legal Question in Civil Litigation in New York

I'm a famous Dj and I have an impersonator who is acting like me and posing as me. He is using my name to make money.I would like to know if there is legal action I can take

Asked on 7/02/13, 11:26 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

Yes there is under the NY Civil Rights Law. The real issue is assuming you obtain a judgment, does he have assets to collect from?

Read more
Answered on 7/02/13, 11:31 am
Roman Fichman Esq. Law Practice of Roman Fichman Esq.

There are various causes of action that would protect the "persona" and 'brand' you created. The answer depends on whether you want to collect damages or whether you simply want the person to stop.

If it's the latter then a cease and desist letter from an attorney, many times, does the trick. It is also a fairly inexpensive option and many times the person responds immediately. Feel free to contact my office at your earliest convenience if you need help in this matter.


Roman R. Fichman, Esq. │ @TheLegalist

email: Info (@) TheLegalist (dot) com

t e l : 2 1 2 -- 3 3 7 -- 9 8 3 7

Disclaimer: This post has been written for educational purposes only and was not meant to be legal advice and should not be construed as legal advice or be relied upon. No intention exists to create an attorney-client relationship or any other special relationship or privilege through this post. The post may contain errors, inaccuracies and/or omissions. You should always consult an attorney admitted to practice in your jurisdiction for specific advice. This post may be deemed as Attorney Advertising.

Read more
Answered on 7/02/13, 12:00 pm
David Leon David L. Leon, P.C.

Have you protected your business name and/or applied for trademark protection?

For more information, please visit our website:

Also, please read our disclaimer:

Read more
Answered on 7/02/13, 5:33 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in New York