Legal Question in Civil Litigation in New York

Seeking an aggressive Malpractice Lawyer for the Following:

When my husband decided to open his asset management company, he hired, what we were told

To be the best law firm in our area, they were hired to structure the business correctly, to file all the necessary documents and items needed in the running of an management Company.

The end result of hiring this lawyer can only be described mildly, as a nightmare. The lawyer failed to register the company, yet confirmed in an email that the registration was completed; we were billed for the company’s registration and filing. For two years my husband was operating his business illegally. This law firm was paid in excess of $350,000.We discovered this mistake whilst hiring a compliance officer for another company, that my husband wanted to open.

This lawyer was also paid an additional $30,000, for a trip to Europe in order to perform his due diligence, as our asset manager is from Zurich. Upon his return, he reported that all was well, and that his only complaint was the fact that, the asset manager wasn’t very organized.

The S.E.C was doing a routine audit they discovered that there was misappropriations of funds on the part of the overseas asset manager. This discovery alarmed my husband, because , 2 weeks prior he was told by his attorney that there were no issues, that all the funds were available. As a result of this attorney’s carelessness, my husband is currently behind bars. Our home has been foreclosed on, we have nothing, which we are ok with, our biggest concern was, and still is, to help the customers who were affected by this.

We have all the documentation supporting the facts, but, what we do not have is the money to retain a lawyer. Can some please point me in the right direction?

Asked on 5/28/10, 4:00 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Locksley Wade Law Office of Locksley O. Wade

What you are ultimately seeking is a collateral attacking on a criminal conviction. The evidence that you purportedly have should have been brought to the court's attention in the criminal trial or on a request for post-conviction relief.

Read more
Answered on 6/11/10, 8:58 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in New York