Legal Question in Immigration Law in New York

My husband's 10 year Resident Alien Card was lost for years. We just found it today & it expired on 06/2007. He has to renew it but in two days he has to appear before a judge (NY) for a jury duty questionnaire that he forgot to submit & show proof that he's not a citizen. Will he get in trouble? We've been married for 11 & 1/2 yrs (I'm an American born citizen) & he's never been in trouble. Thanks in advance.

Asked on 8/01/12, 6:24 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Brian D. Lerner Law Offices of Brian D. Lerner, A Professional Corporation


He should not only renew it, but apply for Naturalization if he qualifes.

Naturalization Application

The Naturalization Application must be filed. If done properly, it will take a few months to receive the fingerprinting notice, and then several more months to receive the naturalization interview to obtain U.S. Citizenship. Shortly thereafter, if approved, you will have the swearing in ceremony to become a U.S. Citizen. Please note that many people find themselves getting the application denied or being placed into deportation/removal proceedings because of past conduct.  



Read more
Answered on 8/04/12, 4:35 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New York