Legal Question in Intellectual Property in New York

My company owns a name that is a registered trademark in the USA. That trademarked name is clearly being infringed upon by an imposter in Canada and being promoted worldwide through social media. Is there a way to go after them without registering a Canadian trademark? Or should I wait until I register a Canadian trademark to go after them? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Asked on 3/10/15, 5:54 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Roman Fichman Esq. Law Practice of Roman Fichman Esq.

Generally speaking, one can pursue the trademark infringer even if the infringer is not in the US through the social media outlets. Each outlet has a mechanism to file such complaint. BTW, please keep in mind that according to trademark law a trademark holder has the duty to protect their trademark or risk losing it, so in fact you may have no choice but to pursue the infringer as soon as poossible.

Roman R. Fichman, Esq. │ @TheLegalist

email: Info (@) TheLegalists (dot) com

t e l : 2 1 2 -- 3 3 7 -- 9 8 3 7

Disclaimer: This post has been written for educational purposes only and was not meant to be legal advice and should not be construed as legal advice or be relied upon. No intention exists to create an attorney-client relationship or any other special relationship or privilege through this post. The post may contain errors, inaccuracies and/or omissions. You should always consult an attorney admitted to practice in your jurisdiction for specific advice. This post may be deemed as Attorney Advertising.

Read more
Answered on 4/13/15, 9:37 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Intellectual Property questions and answers in New York