Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in New York


am trying to find out how to go about getting property that my elderly grandmother in Brooklyn, NY resides @ investigated? She is 83 yrs old & has been living in the apartment for 35 years & hasn't had heat in the past 6 years since new management has taken over. She pays her rent on time & when she informs the mgmt office of not having heat they don't fix the problem but still expect her to pay rent. There are several other instances that she has mentioned to me & without them retaliating on her I am trying to find out recourses to assist her in having her housing needs as a paying tenant resolved. I would appreciate any information/advice you can offer. Thanks.

Asked on 4/14/09, 6:41 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Leslie Ditlow, Esquire Leslie F. Ditlow, Esquire

Re: Landlord/Tenant

First you need a Ny attorney. You may also want to contact the NY equivalent of L and I.

There are also agencies to protect the elderly. Create a paper trail whomever

You contact so if there is retaliation, you can show it for what it is.

Read more
Answered on 4/14/09, 7:41 pm
Michael Markowitz Michael A. Markowitz, PC

Re: Landlord/Tenant

Try the New York City Department of Aging at


Read more
Answered on 4/15/09, 7:51 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in New York