Legal Question in Personal Injury in New York

I filed a wrongful death suit with my sister and the insurance company has made an offer. The problem I'm having is my sister didn't tell me about the offer til a week after it was made & when I call our lawyer he won't answer any of my questions directly. Now they are trying to settle without giving me any info!!!! I'm so mad as I am the one who paid for our lawer. My lawyer sent me a waiver by certified mail to sign for my approval. I have to sign the waiver or show up in court, I want to object but I'm out of state & broke. Is there anything I can do without a lawyer stop this?

Asked on 1/23/12, 3:42 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

You cannot afford not to have a lawyer. I am sure you can find one who will work on a contingency and get paid at the end of the matter. Call me if you want further information.

Read more
Answered on 1/23/12, 4:01 pm

You don't say who represents the estate. Someone was appointed executor or administrator, and the attorney is conferring with this person (your sister?) in managing the lawsuit. You may be a distributee and share in the settlement, but an individual distributee, legally speaking, will have less to say about the lawsuit than the estate representative. If the lawyer is at all caring, he/she should listen to your concerns. Make them known, in writing, if you must. Best, M. E. Zuller

Read more
Answered on 1/23/12, 4:51 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in New York