Legal Question in Personal Injury in New York


Someone served papers for me at an old address, my parents house. I have been living in a different state for two years now. Am I obligated to answer the summons? Also, the incident they are suing for happened 4 years ago today, they served the papers two days ago. How do I determine the statue of limitations?

Asked on 9/09/13, 10:57 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Eric Rothstein Rothstein Law PLLC

You need to serve an Answer or file a pre-Answer motion to dismiss.

If you do neither the plaintiff will take a default judgment against you.

I suggest you hire a lawyer.

I handle cases like this.

Eric Rothstein


[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 9/09/13, 11:00 am


You should answer the summons and complaint. If you were covered by insurance, you should notify your insurance company immediately. There may be coverage issues. I suggest you conference the case immediately with an attorney to protect your rights. Better safe than sorry.

Read more
Answered on 9/09/13, 11:51 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in New York