Legal Question in Personal Injury in New York

I unknowingly hit a parked vehicle as I was backing out of my driveway (I thought I hit the big pile of snow at the end of my drive) and drove away. The next day, a police officer arrived at my home, stating that someone had witnessed the hit and run accident. I was given a court date. What will happen? I genuinely did not know I hit another vehicle at the time that I left the scene of the accident.

Asked on 2/03/10, 6:48 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michael E. Zuller Zuller Law Offices

If you haven't already, report this accident to your insurance company today. As for the court date, you could go it alone and tell your story, or be represented by counsel. I would opt for the latter, since there may be criminal penalties, fines, etc., at issue if your story is not persuasive. What you spend on an attorney will likely be worthwhile. Best, M. E. Zuller

Read more
Answered on 2/09/10, 6:02 am

Mr. Zuller is correct. Leaving the scene of an accident or a hit & run is a crime and it would be advisable to have an experienced attorney in court to defend you and preserve your rights.

We have substantial experience handling these types of cases, however, we would need some more information before making a complete and proper determination. You are welcome to contact us for a free consultation.

Law Offices of


101 Avenue of the Americas, 15th Floor

New York, New York 10013


[email protected]

The information provided by The Law Offices of Steven J. Czik, P.C. (LOSJC) is for general educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship established by this communication and no privilege attaches to such communication. LOSJC is not taking and will not take any action on your behalf and will not be considered your attorney until both you and LOSJC have signed a written retainer agreement. There are strict deadlines, called statutes of limitation, within which claims or lawsuits must be filed. Therefore, if you desire the services of an attorney and decide not to retain LOSJC on terms acceptable to LOSJC, you are advised to immediately seek the services of another attorney.

Read more
Answered on 2/11/10, 11:06 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in New York