Legal Question in Real Estate Law in New York

I live on a month to month verbal lease agreement (The only signed paper is in the posession of the leaseholder.) and I'm getting harrased by her becasue she wants me to move out. She first told me I had 3 days to move out of the apartment. And then said that she didn't know who the leaseholder was. Lastly, two days ago, she clogged up the kitchen drain, the shower drain and the toillett as a last resort. I have no documentation besides food deliveries that I have been here 7 months and paying almost 80% of her rent-stabilized apartment that she is using as an AIRBNB of sorts.

I went to the police to report her but they won't file a report. What can I do in this situation? Please I'm so anxious and really depressed. I was never late on payments nor had any problems besides she not cleaning after her self.

Asked on 12/03/17, 5:00 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Richard Bryan Richard Bryan Attorney PC

You need to first go down to the Family Court first thing in the morning and complete the (simple) paperwork and ask for a Temporary Order of Protection against this person to stop what she is doing. Guaranteed once she gets served with legal papers and a due date to come in front of a judge next and explain herself your situation is going to improve. However since you have no lease you're also going to need to find another place to live asap. You can only get so much mileage from the Housing Court.

Read more
Answered on 12/03/17, 7:42 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in New York