Legal Question in Real Estate Law in New York

I own a property with one other person that is towards the end of foreclosure. The other owner has been continuously unresponsive to my communication. The property should be able to sell for more than what is owed and I have already started showing it. I'm concerned that if I get an offer the other owner won't sign it. How do I protect myself in this situation?

Asked on 2/15/13, 3:59 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

Bring an action in partition to compel a sale.

Read more
Answered on 2/15/13, 4:17 pm


You would likely need file an action for Partition and an Order seeking the sale of the property. We have substantial experience handling these types of cases and very reasonable fees. However, we would need some more information before making a complete and proper determination. You are welcome to contact us for a free consultation.


401 Greenwich Street

New York, New York 10013


[email protected]

The information provided by Czik Law PLLC (CLP) is for general educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship established by this communication and no privilege attaches to such communication. CLP is not taking and will not take any action on your behalf and will not be considered your attorney until both you and CLP have signed a written retainer agreement. There are strict deadlines, called statutes of limitation, within which claims or lawsuits must be filed. Therefore, if you desire the services of an attorney and decide not to retain CLP on terms acceptable to CLP, you are advised to immediately seek the services of another attorney.

Steven Czik


401 Greenwich Street

New York, NY 10013

Read more
Answered on 2/19/13, 10:39 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in New York