Legal Question in Real Estate Law in New York

My room mate found an order to vacant order on the door leading into our basement apartment in Astoria Ny. He went to NYC Dept of Housing and they told him he can not sleep there. He left, and we both moved our things in within a couple of weeks. We now received a letter from his attorney, 6 months later for back rent.

According to NYC records there is a partial order to vacant still in the premises, no C of O on the entire property and he has violations for illegely splitting the basement apartment into 2 separate apartments and failed to show up at a hearing. He told us that it is not our apartment but the other one. Wouldn't they both be considered illegal and dangerous if it was split, and since the vacant order was on the door we enter, doesn't that mean we have to leave? Is he entitled to back rent. Please help has we are both students and can't afford an attorney

Asked on 11/19/13, 4:03 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anna feldman Law office of Anna Feldman

Go to court and answer the "back-rent" lawsuit. When you fill out your answer, tell the clerk your story. They will either help you fill the answer out or direct you to a room where you will be helped. As part of your answer you should state about the order to vacate premises and about CO. Just make sure you take your summons with you. Also, if you have a copy of the notice to vacate, you should take it with you.

Read more
Answered on 11/20/13, 3:42 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in New York