Legal Question in Telecomm Law in New York

internet connectivity to the US


We represent a Vietnamese Carrier. We would like to connect our submarine cable to a Backhaul facility and IP Port in the US for internet connectivity.

1. Do we have to apply for a 214 license?

2. Could you please refer to us the specific laws and regulation governing this issue

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Asked on 5/20/03, 4:02 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Friedman Law Office of John K. Friedman

Re: internet connectivity to the US

You will need certain licensures from the FCC to land a submarine cable in the US regardless of its application. While using the cable for Internet (i.e. packetized, IP-based, traffic) only will relieve you of many obligations that traditional common carriers are stuck with, you should be aware of your legal responsibilities particularly as current and on-going rulemakings currently before the FCC may have an impact on how you do business here in the US.

So you are aware, I specialize almost exclusively in telecommunications and Internet issues and represent many competitive carriers. I also teach the law on these issues at a New York law school.

I may be reached at 212.366.1324 if you'd like to discuss this matter more fully.


John Friedman

Read more
Answered on 5/20/03, 8:17 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Telecommunications Law questions and answers in New York