Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in New York

my uncle passed and did not leave a will, there are 5 nephews and nieces in total. my sister and brother became executors and stated that they would share all money fairly 5 ways. my brother passed away 2 years ago one of the homes of my uncle sold in march and my sister and other brother called to tell me the good news. i was given a small sum of money and my sister is not happy with how it was spent and is denying me any further money, what are my rights if my name is not listed as one of the executors. all 4 other family members have been dispersed money?

Asked on 8/06/13, 2:10 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

You should retain your own attorney to make sure you receive the proper inheritance.

Read more
Answered on 8/06/13, 2:36 pm

Paula McGill Attorney at Law

Attorney Slater is correct. Executors have to comply with the intestate succession laws. Unless they are appointed your guardians, they cannot withhold your legal share of the estate. Consult with an experienced attorney as soon as possible.

Also licensed and practicing in New York

Read more
Answered on 8/06/13, 5:11 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in New York