Legal Question in Criminal Law in North Carolina

My husband is applying for a correctional officer job in North Carolina, Craven. We just found out that he had six pending criminal summons. He went and got served today, but they are for bad checks back in 2003. Four of the complaints are from a restaurant that no longer exists and complainant is unreachable. one is from walmart where they say they have no record of having issue with him, and the third says that he paid them back. There is no outstanding balances but he did not know this went to a criminal case. Do we have a chance of getting this dismissed? What should we do, if he has a criminal conviction within three years he loses this job and this is the only hold up.Contacted all possible complainants. Tried getting copies of bank statements but account closed and bank has been bought three times so no longer exists. They say they cannot find his account. Have letter coming from walmart that he is in good standing with him and have no record of a problem with him. Four were from golden corral which he worked for years, after this supposedly happened. He was put out on street around time this happened and we think his ex roommates did this.

Asked on 6/24/13, 3:35 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

Based on your description, he has a good chance these charges will be dismissed. Make sure to take the letter you mentioned and discuss the above facts with the Assistant District Attorney on your next Court date. If the ADA does not offer a dismissal, request a continuance and hire an attorney. Do not get pressured into accepting a plea. If the state's feet are put to the fire, odds are they won't have their witnesses ready and the state will make a motion to continue.

Read more
Answered on 6/24/13, 11:43 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in North Carolina