Legal Question in DUI Law in North Carolina

Limitaion on DUI

I was arrested in 1994 for a DUI and speeding and released on bond in North Carolina. I live in Michigan. It is now 2007 . I was wondering if and what I can be charged with since it is 12 years ago. Because I need to take care of this in order o get a renewed drivers license.

Asked on 8/31/07, 11:30 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Richard Culler Culler Law Firm, P.A.

Re: Limitaion on DUI

you will have to get the ADA to add the case on for hearing...they don't have to do that since the case is so old...if they don't you will not be able to drive legally until the NC matter is resolved...they will add the case back on for hearing w/ a misd. FTA charge...but that is about all you can do...

Read more
Answered on 9/02/07, 6:19 pm

Victoria Easterday Law Offices of Victoria Easterday

Re: Limitaion on DUI

I am assuming that you never took care of the NC case when you moved to Michigan. I recommend hiring a NC attorney to negotiate that DUI case. Any plea or conviction, even 12 years later, will show as a conviction in the year it was settled. Considering that the case is 12 years old and there is probably evidentiary problems (witnesses not available, etc), the prosecutor will probably be willing to negotiate a favorable settlement.

Read more
Answered on 8/31/07, 2:12 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in North Carolina