Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

I Currently have custody of my son who is 17. I filed child support now he is threatening me. When he(my son) was around 13 he lived with his dad. One morning he called me wanting me to come and get him that he had to get out of there. When I picked him up he had lashes on his back so I then took him to the sheriffs dept. Greg told the cops that he done it to himself after they had arrested his dad. Now that I got custody and filed for support his dad is saying he has it on tape that my son was talking to my mother who is now deceased saying it was me and if I pursue the child support that he would have me arrested. Needless to say I live 2 hrs away from them and I did not do it, and my mother is deceased so.... what do I do?

Asked on 5/09/13, 7:56 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

As best I can understand, your ex says he has a tape recording of your son telling your now deceased mother that you were the one that lashed him on the back and your ex is threatening to use that tape to have you arrested. If I have it right - I don't think you have much to worry about. Have you considered asking your son if he ever said those things? Also, how in the world would your ex get a tape of that particular conversation? Odds are there is no tape recording and your dim witted ex is merely grasping at straws in a vain attempt to get you to scare you off of cutting into his beer money. If there is a tape and you are charged (which is highly doubtful) you will have plenty of time to consult with an attorney and prepare a defense. Continue on with your pursuit of child support and I hope you are able to sock your ex in the pocket book nice and proper. Maybe even consider texting him a pic of you smiling with a big thumbs up and holding your first child support check. In any event, I'll leave you with this thought - there's nothing to worry about until there's something to worry about.

Read more
Answered on 5/09/13, 2:34 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina