Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

Grandparent Visitation Nightmare

9 years ago, wifes mother sued and got visitation with our children. Wife was horribly abused by her and suffers severe PTSD. Her mother has also been physically abusive towards our children. We have recently stopped the visits on our own, but with what

we think is just cause due to the behavior of the grandparent. Contempt charges will be issued, yet we

are adamant that this woman is unbalanced, and tries to undermine us at every opportunity. We recently had a warrant drawn up for threatening phone calls. Can this warrant be used in defense (along with information and belief), and can it be legal grounds to stop visits until we can be heard? Grandma has a lot more cash than we do!! We could sure use some competent advice.

Asked on 12/28/01, 10:08 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

James Weeks Law Office of James B Weeks

Re: Grandparent Visitation Nightmare

You need to retain an ATTY to file a Motion to modify the Order giving the grandmother visitation

The criminal action would be evidence in support of the Motion, BUT not a defense to a Motion to hold you in Contempt for refusing to obey the prior order of visitation.

Read more
Answered on 12/29/01, 10:23 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina