Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

My husband and I have been separated for 6 months. A few weeks ago he came back wanting to try again and reconcile, but he changed his mind a few days ago and left once again. I just found out that during that period I became pregnant. We do not have a separation agreement, and this would be our first child. I have not informed him of my current situation, because I really don't want him to be involved. Is there any way that I can keep this pregnancy under wraps and give birth in another state to gain full custody?

Asked on 10/15/13, 6:16 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

Yes, you can attempt to do that - but you probably shouldn't! You have no obligation to inform your husband of the pregnancy but if you don't, you won't get child support. Most likely, you won't be able to pull it off. Depending on you and your husband's family interaction, someone will probably rat you out and inform your husband and then he will decide if he wants to be involved not you. Further, unless you have a legitimate reason for keeping the child away such as your husband is violent and physically abusive then you are basically being incredibly selfish making a decision like that for your husband and your child. One last thought, a lie of that magnitude could have far reaching unforeseen consequences. For example if you remarry and your new husband wants to adopt and you continue with the lie bad things could happen later down the road if the lie surfaces.

Read more
Answered on 10/15/13, 11:18 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina