Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

My wife and I have been separated for over five years. She now lives in WV. Is there a way to find out if she has filed for divorce? I've lived at the same address since we split up, but she could in theory have me served via publication and I'd never know. Also, how can I find out if she's even still alive? She's not in the best of health thanks to being an almost life long smoker. Thanks!

Asked on 8/24/13, 5:39 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

Contacting family and friends would be the best place to start. Otherwise you are in for a grueling county by county record search. As to being served by publication if you have lived at the same address since you separated and she was aware of that address, it would be improper to serve you by publication and she most likely committed perjury if you were served by that method under the facts you presented.

Read more
Answered on 8/24/13, 7:30 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina