Legal Question in Medical Malpractice in North Carolina

Case Study...Independence Ave

Doing a case study for a MBA legal class and would like to know where I can learn more about maximum compensatory a punitive damages...monetary and other that can be sued for by a plaintiff citing: malpractice (2 doctors and a hospital), battery (reckless driving lady), and voluntary intoxication (drunk driving man). Any resources you can suggest?

Asked on 3/02/03, 11:19 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Kirby Law Offices of John M. Kirby

Re: Case Study...Independence Ave

Well, there's North Carolina law, which is in "Chapter 1D," and can probably be found on the Net somewhere, as well as in any Law Library with the NC General Statutes. There are caps for punitives, there is an exception for "drunk driving," and they generally do not extend to an employer that does not participate in the decision (e.g. a "rogue" employee). The law, however, is going to vary widely from State to State. If that is what you need, then you need a much broader source of authority. There are probably some Internet sites with this info, as well as I would suppose several magazine articles. If you can get to a law library, there are probably some even better sources (perhaps a book called "ALR," or "AmJur"). If you can provide more info about the scope of your inquiry, perhaps I can focus your research more.

Read more
Answered on 3/02/03, 3:42 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Medical Malpractice Law questions and answers in North Carolina