Legal Question in Medical Malpractice in North Carolina

When a vision care doctor diagnosed me with Glaucoma in April 2011,I was devastated.The problem is when I went back for my 6 month followup November 2011,he changed his whole attitude,he and and his staff.I was asked repeatedly if I drank or had been drinking.He made it clear that my eye condition was due to drinking, and not Glaucoma.He threw his hands up in the air and told me he couldn't do nothing else for me.I was very humiliated at this point.I was left without care for over six months.With the help of my neighbor,I found another eye specialist.She examined me I knew from the look on her face that my eyesight was in trouble.I was diagnosed with Ocular Hypertension ,Glaucoma, and Cataract in Left eye,something the 1st doctor should've diagnosed me with.But, he and his assistant were busy making a fool out of me while neglecting my care.I just had nerve study done with the top neurologist in Pitt County.The diagnosis of Diabetes devastated me even further,which accounts for my visual problems.I have already started developing sores on my legs and feet.Even after sending the 1st doctor pictures by email, he still ignored my medical history of Hypertension and possible diabetes.He knew that I had High Blood sugar problems.But, he made the decision to discontinue my care without notice or warning.Was this man negligent in my care?

Asked on 12/24/12, 5:46 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Kenneth Love Ken Love Law

There is nothing that forces a doctor to keep you as a patient. It is typical that patients get second opinions after a diagnosis. To hold him negligent, you would have to show that you were harmed physically by his care. If he said you had no eye problems and then you never sought care and got in a car accident, he would clearly be negligent.

A second doctor making a better diagnosis not in itself negligence on the first doctor. Part of this was you were humiliated and didn't care for how you were treated, which is understandable. It is good that you found a doctor that is caring for you. If you wish you attempt to pursue claims, you need to speak to a medical malpractice attorney.

Read more
Answered on 12/27/12, 7:55 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Medical Malpractice Law questions and answers in North Carolina