Legal Question in Personal Injury in North Carolina

I was in a car accident, this resulted in total lost of my car. The other insurance company paid my car off, but in the result of them paying my car off, I now have to rent a car. I've rented a car for the past month and it has put a significant drain on me, because my credit isn't good and I can't save for a down payment due to i have to pay my bills,plus renting this car is hitting draining my checking account. Losing my car as taken a big hit on my financies, I have to still pay my bills, plus take car of my childrens. I need my car to get back and forth to work, it's my only transportation.

Is there any way that I could add the rental car fee into my law suit?

Asked on 8/07/12, 5:00 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Kirby Law Offices of John M. Kirby

Unfortunately many people in this situation are left with no good options. The general rule is that you are entitled to a rental vehicle, but the duration of this is limited to the time reasonably necessary to obtain a new vehicle. This is typically a few weeks. The law essentially imposes a duty on the person with the damaged car to purchase (or lease, borrow etc.) another vehicle after a reasonable period of time. In theory, most people could simply finance a new vehicle, but sometimes this is not possible due to, e.g., their credit status.

Read more
Answered on 8/07/12, 6:41 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in North Carolina