Legal Question in Traffic Law in North Carolina

I got a speeding ticket in Chatham Co. for 56 in a 35 a few weeks ago. It was 10:00 p.m., I was driving a long distance home from going out of town for the weekend and was on a two lane highway that I didn't realize had dropped from the 55 mph zone it had been for 20 miles to a 35 mph zone as I was about to come into Pittsboro and didn't realize it b/c I'm not from that area. This is my 4th speeding ticket in 6 years, although it has been 2 years since my last ticket (I learned my lesson after the 3rd) I would be ok with this ticket if I had known I was speeding but I didn't think I was! Anyway, my court date is in a week and a half and my question is should I go through the effort and money of getting a lawyer to take care of everything for me or should I just go and ask the DA to reduce it to 44 in a 35 and pay the fine? Or any other suggestions?

Asked on 7/26/10, 8:08 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jeff Rosner Rosner Law Firm P.A.

you may want to get an attorney in Chatham. Sounds like if you get a 44 in a 35, your insurance will go up due to your prior tickets. Chatham is a county that gives improper equipment in certain instances so you may want to have an attorney assist you b/c that would save your insurance premiums. Driving school will most likely be required to get the improper equipment. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Read more
Answered on 7/26/10, 11:52 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in North Carolina