Legal Question in Business Law in Ohio

I recently got a Tax Identification Number for a business, but my friend is telling me that I stole his company. A company that he doesn't have a Tax Identification Number, or Business Licenses for. Am I commuting a crime for getting the legal documents for me to own the company?

Asked on 4/06/17, 3:23 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Sauter Cloppert, Latanick, Sauter & Washburn

Based on the facts that you describe, it appears this is a civil, and not a criminal matter. Our nation's courts hear both civil and criminal claims. Criminal charges can result in jail time, civil complaints can result in an award of money or an order from the court to do/ not to do some particular action. If your friend believes that you've 'stolen' his company, he will need to pursue his complaint against you in a civil court where it will be for a judge to decide if your friend's claim has merit.

Read more
Answered on 4/10/17, 5:42 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in Ohio