Legal Question in Criminal Law in Ohio

Stop Payment on Check - Criminal Offense?

My husband and I recently walked out on a house closing because we found out our mortgage broker (broker #1) had lied to us about several things.

We found a new broker (#2) who asked if we could get the appraisal transferred to them. We called the appraisal company who informed us that because the broker #1 had ordered it, she "owned" it and would have to give permission to have it transferred. She did not give permission. Previous to all this, we had written a check directly to the appraisal company and gave it to broker #1 to forward because the invoice was in the broker #1's name. When she didn't approve the transfer, we informed both broker #1 and the appraisal company that a stop payment would be placed on the check.

The intent was to make broker #1 responsible for payment since she "owned" it.

The appraisal company is now claiming to press criminal charges against us for writing a fraudulent check.

I have been told that stopping payment on a check can not be a criminal offense, and that if they proceed with this, I may have a civil case against the appraisal company.

What is your opinion?

Asked on 4/08/98, 4:42 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Patrick A. T. West Ohio Ticket Defense Patrick A. T. West, Attorney at Law

Stopping payment is not a crime

Stopping payment on a check is never a crime.Here, you received no benefit from the pay-ment and the appraisal company refuses togive you anything for your payment; in legalterms, there is a failure of considerationfrom the appraisal company to you and, there-fore, you owe the appraisal company nothing.

Should the appraisal company bring criminalcharges, they should be dismissed in shortorder then, yes, you can sue the appraisalcompany for malicious prosecution.


If applicable to this message: "This transmis-

sion does not create an attorney-client rela-

tionship. I will not be representing anyone

without a written agreement signed by all par-

ties and then, only in Ohio. Answers to ques-

tions are for general information only and

are not to be construed as legal advice in any

particular jurisdiction. If you need legal advice

for a specific legal problem, seek the services

of a knowledgable attorney in your area or locale."


Where people fear the government,

you have tyranny.

Where the government fears the people,

you have liberty.

Thomas Jefferson


Read more
Answered on 4/22/98, 12:43 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Ohio