Legal Question in Family Law in Ohio

Filing question

I have been married for 18 yrs, my husband has moved out of state with his girlfriend. How do I file for divorce when I don't know where he lives to have papers served? Can I still get a divorce even if I can't locate him?

Asked on 3/03/06, 5:14 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Drew David P. Drew, Esq.

Re: Filing question

Yes you may file for Divorce by simply filing a Complaint for Divorce and publishing the notice in the local newspaper of his last known address. This publication must be for 6 consecutive weeks. This is called giving constuctive notice. After the 6 weeks of notice, he has 28 days to Answer the Complaint. If he fails to do so, you may file for a default Judgment and the Court will grant you a Divorce. If you have additional questions, please call my office.

David P. Drew

Read more
Answered on 3/04/06, 8:08 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Ohio