Legal Question in Family Law in Ohio

I 'm 18 and a single mother of an 8 month old son. My son's father says he wants to give up his parental rights which is fine with me. He doesn't help financially. I don't want child support from him . He says that he is not gonna pay support because he refuses to support my mother and I . Plus he keeps threatening to take my son from me. When he isn't working he sleeps or plays video games. Plus he can't stand when the baby cries he can't change a diaper or make bottles. I need free legal advice as soon as possible.

Asked on 8/22/12, 9:01 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Eric Willison Eric Eastman Willison

In Ohio, when two people have a child while they are not married, custody starts out with the mother. The father would have to bring a court proceeding in Juvenile Court to establish paternity in order to attempt to get custody from you. I very much doubt that the court would give custody to a parent who fits the description you give of your son's father if there is not something that makes you unfit.

You need to be careful about consenting to him giving up his rights as a father since that also might hurt the local child support enforcement agency in getting money out of him for the payments that they make to you.

Read more
Answered on 8/22/12, 2:17 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Ohio