Legal Question in Immigration Law in Ohio

Do I (U.S. Citizen student) need (how much) income to marry a H1B Visa (Chinese)?

If yes, when I get a job, after my first month, am I certified as a provider? Is a safe alternative contacting another U.S. citizen with an income to sponsor her?

Asked on 10/14/12, 10:48 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Philip Eichorn Hammond Law Group

As the visa petitioner, you do need to also file an affidavit of support. You must be able to show sufficient income or assets to support your household. This is done by measuring your household size against the federal poverty guidelines and your income. If you do not have sufficient income, your spouse's income can be attributed so long as it was gained lawfully (and in this case it sounds as if it has as there is an H-1B visa noted). If, between both incomes, you fall short of the poverty guidelines, you can get a co-sponsor.

Read more
Answered on 10/15/12, 1:51 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Ohio