Legal Question in Workers Comp in Ohio

I slipped on some signs left on the floor at work on 1/8/14 and fractured my hip plus an additional fracture just below that one. The orthopedic fixed the hip with 3 pins and a rod and still has me on non weight bearing using a walker until the other fracture heals. He recommended that I see a rheumatologist to help strengthen the bone but BWC refused saying they didn't deem it a necessary part of my recovery but I could pay for it myself if I wanted to go. I cancelled my appointment because I can't afford it. That was on 2/19. I returned to my ortho on 2/24 and the hip is healing but the other isn't doing what it's suppose to be doing so he recommended seeing the other again. I received bills for my walker and raised toilet seat, I had to use my insurance for the blood thinner injections, pain medication and antibiotics, paying $70.00 out of my pocket. I have been receiving weekly checks ( less than if I worked my 40 hr week with all my deductions taken out) but my weekly union dues and insurance aren't taken out. I'm having expenses that to be honest I just can't afford. What options do I have to get help?

Asked on 2/27/14, 11:40 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrew Tobergte McKenzie & Snyder LLP.

You have several options. You can appeal to see the rheumatologist, file to get the walker, toilet seat and medication paid for through workers' compensation. The weekly checks may be set low but we would have to go over your wages to determine. You will also be entitled to a permanent partial disability award that could help with miscellaneous expenses.

There could be more. I would need to review your file. I am happy to do that, just give me a call (513-737-5180 ext. 22). We have several clients and my partner lives in Loveland.

Read more
Answered on 2/28/14, 12:09 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Workers' Compensation Law questions and answers in Ohio