Legal Question in Personal Injury in Oklahoma

personal injury on a friend's property

While at a friend's auto shop (@ his house), I tripped on some junk outside in the dark (there was no outside lighting) and ended up w/19 stitches in my knee. I know my medical expenses will likely be covered, but what about a claim for the scarring? Would I have to go thru an attorney?

Asked on 5/06/09, 11:46 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Wayne Allison Allison Legal, LLC

Re: personal injury on a friend's property

You could sue "pro se," which means you represent yourself. If your friend has liability insurance that is paying for the medical, you could make a demand for some compensation for the scarring, but they'll likely argue against you and may simply say no. If they say no, your only choice is to sue.

The bigger question in your assessment is the value of damages. I don't know that a jury would ultimately think a scar on your knee is really harmful enough to award you anything. The jury may indeed find liability, but it might award you, for example, one dollar.

Read more
Answered on 5/07/09, 7:45 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Oklahoma