Legal Question in Personal Injury in Oregon

How do I know what to negotiate for settlement money? I don't want to get taken advantage of because I am young. I was stopped at a red light and got rear ended by a drunk driver who was going 40 mph. $6,000 of damage to my car. And I've been in treatment for my back for 5 months now. The insurance has paid 10,000 in medical for me.

Asked on 5/31/17, 9:26 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Faith Morse Kelly L. Andersen, PC

In Oregon, you generally speaking have 2 years to make a claim (much shorter if the defendant worked for the state or the government or an Indian tribe, for a couple examples).

If you are not completely better yet, you are not ready to settle your case. You do not want to settle and then find out you need expensive imaging or treatment beyond what you have already gotten. If your PIP coverage runs out, you can continue treating and your health insurance will cover your bills (you will still be responsible for co-pays and deductibles) while you're getting better. You will likely have to pay your insurance company back.

As far as how much you should settle for, it's impossible to give you an estimate of the value range without looking into the medical records to see what your doctors have to say and doing an in depth interview with you to see how these injuries have impacted your life. I suggest calling a personal injury attorney in your area and setting up an appointment. The initial appointment is almost always free, and they can talk with you about your case and what you should do. Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 5/31/17, 10:19 am
Daniel Meek Daniel W. Meek

Hire an attorney who will help you and not charge you any fee except a portion of what you get paid by the insurance company. I do not do such work, but the Kafoury firm does: 503-224-2647. They know what to demand and negotiate.

Read more
Answered on 5/31/17, 5:52 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Oregon