Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Oregon

My son is getting a small inheritance after his grandmother's passing. In the will, it states that the money shall be held in a "discretionary trust," administered by me until he is 21 years old. The probate has been accepted and will pay out as soon as I have the bank account set-up but the bank needs some sort of certificate in order to open the account. Where do I get this certificate? Is there a form I can get online or somewhere else to DIY this myself? We are a low-income family, struggling to make ends meet, so I need to be able to set this up for him as inexpensively as possible.

Asked on 8/18/23, 11:52 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Richard Bryan Richard Bryan Attorney PC

My guess is what the bank is asking for is the Letters of Trusteeship which would have been granted by the judge in the probate court and mailed to you. You might have to go to the courthouse and pay a small fee to get a certified copy, if in fact those Letters were granted. That's what the documents is called in New York but in your state it might be called something else. Are you also the Executor?

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 8/23/23, 7:25 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Oregon