Legal Question in International Law in Pakistan

my question is in regards to pakistan laws on multiple marriages and divorce with child custody.

1- for a man to marry a second wife in pakistan while he is married to his first wife living in canada is he supposed to have first wife's consent, if so, what are the consequences?

2- if man wants divorce from second wife who already has a child, what are the laws for divorce with a child?

Asked on 10/27/10, 4:23 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Salman Khan International Lawyer

Under muslim family law ordinance 1961, u are required to take permission from 1st wife in order to marry another wife and the procedure for taking permission is too complicated. It is almost impossible that someone gets permission that way. You can be imprisoned for 1 year and can be fined if the 1st wife complains about your second marriage done without permission.

Secondly, there are few ways to divorce and wife and even she can take khulla from the husband. Child custody goes to mother under 7 years and it goes to father after that for a male child while the female child remains with mother till her marriage. However if the mother marries another man, then she becomes ineligible for the custody. For more u can consult me at [email protected]


Read more
Answered on 10/27/10, 4:49 am

Related Questions & Answers

More International Law questions and answers in Pakistan