Legal Question in Consumer Law in Pennsylvania

i have two accounts that are being reported to a sep credit file which i found out about last week, the ssn is one number off from mine i don't know how this happened but all my info is the same and correct i want this fixed and cleared asap how do i do this

Asked on 4/24/14, 4:06 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

You need to write to each of the credit bureaus. Provide your FULL SSN, FULL legal name and date of birth. Tell the credit bureaus that you are disputing the 2 accounts - provide as much information as you can about the accounts - name of original/current creditor and as much of the account number as is reported. Explain that these are not your accounts and for these items to be removed. Send the letters by certified mail, return receipt requested. Keep a copy for you.

If the credit bureaus claim they investigated and the information is confirmed, then write to the creditors and provide the same information and ask them to review. Send the letter certified mail, return receipt requested.

If the creditors still will not remove, then go and see a lawyer specializing in FDCPA/FCRA violations.

This is not a quick process. If you are really anxious, then try sending the letter to the creditor directly and send it to someone in authority with the creditor - collections supervisor or VP of customer service - someone high enough up the food chain with some power to review and make things happen. It will still take 30-45 days.

If you are trying to apply for credit, some lenders will accept a copy of a letter and do what is called a "rapid rescore" for you if your credit is otherwise good and these things seem to be an anomaly.

Read more
Answered on 5/06/14, 7:45 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania