Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Pennsylvania

I have been asked to house a few riffles while my neighbor has their grandchild living with them over the summer. The agreement is a small rate to keep them in a large safe I own. My question is this, if they continue to not pay for the storage, can I in any way claim ownership of the riffles or sell them to compensate me for the loss in storage cost. If so, how long must I wait before I can either claim ownership or sell them?

Thank you for your time

Asked on 5/07/12, 6:01 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Why is this a collection question?

This is a bailment. Any general consumer or contracts lawyer can assist you.

You cannot keep things that are not yours and you cannot sell them either unless you take steps to protect yourself.

First, you need to have a written agreement signed by the person who is renting the storage. If they break the contract by failing to pay or retrieve the items, there are procedures in the law that have to be followed before you can sell the items for the storage owed.

Please see a lawyer and do this correctly.

Read more
Answered on 5/07/12, 9:10 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania