Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Pennsylvania

Credit Cards Suing

I have two credit cards that my ex sent for in 1998 unknown to me & in my name. Payments were not made & they took me to court & now have given me a time limit to give them full payment which total of both cards equals to roughly 15,000 including late fees and court costs. People have told me different stories. 1. Does Pennsylvania have a no garnishment law? 2. Can they really sieze my assets? What if I don't have any assets? 3.I thought credit cards were unsecured? So how can they sue me? 4. Can I make them also send letters to my ex-wife? 5.I can't get a loan & remortgaging my house has failed. What else can I do to settle these debts?

Asked on 1/11/05, 1:48 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Gerald Hershenson Law Office of Gerald M. Hershenson

Re: Credit Cards Suing

You raise too many issues to adequately cover all your concerns. You should seek the advice of legal counsel immediately. That being said there is no garnishment of wages in Pennsylvania. However, if the credit cards were obtained without your permission by your ex wife's fraud that issue has to be raised. If a judgment is entered against you, it can be recorded as a lien against any real estate owned by you. It will effect your credit. Your divorce agreement must be reviewed as you may have a claim against your wife. The are too many issue in your case. Seek legal advice immediately or your property will be in jeapody. Levies can be made against personal goods, attachement of bank accounts etc. will occur if you allow a judgment to be entered. Move quickly. It has already effected your credit. Seek advice or suffer the consequences. Gerald Hershenson 215-579-9390

Read more
Answered on 1/11/05, 2:01 pm

Stanley Fudor Law Offices of Stanley Fudor

Re: Credit Cards Suing

You have many issues and questions. There may be ways to avoid the penalties of the judgment, you may be judgment proof, a look at the divorce settlement is an issue, bankruptcy is a possibility. You need to consult with an attorney to protect your rights.

Read more
Answered on 1/11/05, 4:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania