Legal Question in Elder Law in Pennsylvania

built addition for mom now estate wants money

my mother sold her house and paid for an addition to my house for her to live. i told my mother,brother and sister i could not afford to pay for addition but that i would take care of mom and do whatever i could. now my mom is dead and the estate wants me to pay for addition.

is this legal?

Asked on 6/09/03, 11:04 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bryant A. Boohar Charles W. Boohar, Jr. & Associates, P.C.

Re: built addition for mom now estate wants money

The answer to your question will depend largely on the circumstances of how your mother gave you the money. Was it a gift, or a loan, or a payment for your services as your motherís caregiver? Is there any documentation showing the character of the payment? If it was a loan, then it may need to be repaid to the estate. However, if it was a gift or a payment for services rendered, then it may not have to be repaid.

If the estate is making a demand for payment from you, then I suggest that you seek legal assistance in this matter.

If I can be of help, please feel free to contact me.

Read more
Answered on 6/09/03, 12:29 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania