Legal Question in Elder Law in Pennsylvania

Forcibly changing Power of Attorney

My mother assigned me as POA. Are there any grounds under which my brother could have me removed as power of attorney without my be aware of it without the FULL consent of my mother?

And is there such a thing as an assistant power of attorney and if so what rights and/or authority does the designated assistant power of attorney have?

Thanks in advance for any insight that you can offer.

Asked on 8/19/04, 3:28 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Ilene Young Young Law Offices

Re: Forcibly changing Power of Attorney

A Power of Attorney (POA) can be revoked by the person who granted it (the"grantor"), but not by another. If the person granted the power under the POA ("grantee") is acting improperly, or if the POA were obtained improperly, another person could challenge the continuing POA through an Action in Orphan's Court.

In addition, a grantor can assign POA to more than one individual. The grantee, however, cannot assign his or her powers under the POA to another "assistant".

Ilene Young, Esquire/ Civil & Family Practice/215-444-0445


As you are not a client of our firm, discussion of the above topic is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Applicability of the legal principles discussed may differ substantially in individual situations, different counties, or in different states. If you have a specific concern or legal problem, do not rely on these materials. Be sure to seek the advice of an attorney about your particular situation and facts.

Read more
Answered on 8/21/04, 11:57 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania