Legal Question in Family Law in Pennsylvania

common law

I wanted to know if there is such a thing as common law marriage in Bangor, PA. I have been living with a man for 8 years in a house that was purchased in 1999 but only put in his name. I wanted to know if I would leave would I have any rights to the assets that are associated with the house.

Asked on 2/18/07, 12:22 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Roger Traversa Arjont Group (Law Office of Roger Traversa)

Re: common law

You asked about common law marriage.

Pennsylvania only recognizes common law marriages that were formed and recognized before September 2005 (if I recall correctly). That is when the State started offering and recognizing self-uniting marriages.

In other words, if you and your husband were holding yourselves out as husband and wife before that date then you may be able to establish a common law marriage. If on the other hand you only appeared to be living together you would have a harder fight or would have to pursue an alternative theory to divide the property.

This is a case for a family law attorney. You do not want to go down this road alone.



Read more
Answered on 2/19/07, 6:37 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Pennsylvania