Legal Question in Family Law in Pennsylvania

If someone is saying they are pregnant and we have asked for proof but she will not give it to us.

Asked on 7/25/13, 5:56 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

So? What is the question? Just wait. If/when a child is born and lives, then the mother may want child support. If the mother goes to the child support office and names someone as the father, the alleged father can dispute paternity and a DNA test will be done at that time. Or, if the man really believes he is the father and the woman will not let him see the child, he can bring a paternity action against the mother and can compel her to submit to DNA testing.

However, until the child is born everything is speculative. And I don't see why the mother has to give anyone any proof of her pregnancy based on your demand for it. Unless there is some kind of court order (and there will not be one until a child is actually born) then you are not entitled to this information.

Why do you want to know? And who is "we?" Only one man can biologically be the father of the child and he is the only person who legitimately would have a right to know (unless the woman is acting as a surrogate for parents - but usually there is a contract with that and you would not be demanding proof). Is the woman making some kind of demands for money? I'm not sure why the father or anyone else would be obligated to pay anything at least not until the child is born and there is some kind of proceeding to determine paternity.

You can try reposting your question with more facts or go and see a local family law attorney to review your situation.

Read more
Answered on 7/25/13, 11:56 pm

John Davidson Law Office of John A. Davidson

As a local attorney I agree.


Read more
Answered on 7/26/13, 6:31 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Pennsylvania