Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Pennsylvania

Can't afford to pay a civil judgment

A judgment has been issued against me for money. I can not afford to pay it. What will happen if I fail to pay? What actions can be taken against me?

Asked on 9/15/03, 3:26 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Gerald Hershenson Law Office of Gerald M. Hershenson

Re: Can't afford to pay a civil judgment

You have a legal obligation to pay the judgment. You can attempt to work out a payment arrangement with the creditor or file bankruptcy to discharge the obligation. The creditor can enforce payment by attaching bank accounts or levying on personal property. I suggest you seek the advice of legal counsel. If I can assist please let me know. Gerald Hershenson Esq. 215-579=-9390

Read more
Answered on 9/15/03, 3:55 pm

Andrew Solomon Law Office of Andrew A. Solomon

Re: Can't afford to pay a civil judgment

First, I am assuming you live in PA. The first question is whether or not you are married. Unless the judgment is against you and your wife, marital property, such as your home, joint bank accounts, etc., can't be touched. If, however, you are single, the holder of the judgment can attach any property, including bank accounts, that are in your name only. The good news is that in PA, your wages generally cannot be garnished by your creditors. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me by email or at 610-644-8300 or 570-622-7300.

Read more
Answered on 9/15/03, 4:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Pennsylvania