Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Pennsylvania

Automobile Lawsuit

I was involved in a 3 car automobile accident in December of 1999. I was driving my ex-boyfriend's car. I was stopped in the left hand lane waiting to make a left hand turn and the car behind us hit us while we were stopped. The car behind him then hit him forcing him into us again. My ex-boyfriend has now filed a lawsuit against the other two parties and myself. If he has a case against me, what could it be for? There was a police report made and it was noted that the accident was not my fault. I need legal representation, can you suggest anyone in my area?

Asked on 1/02/02, 9:17 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Stanley Fudor Law Offices of Stanley Fudor

Re: Automobile Lawsuit

Where do you live?

Read more
Answered on 1/03/02, 8:05 am
William Marvin Cohen, Placitella & Roth, P.C.

Re: Automobile Lawsuit

Don't worry.

I suspect that your ex-boyfriend's attorney had been trying to settle the case with the insurer for the other drivers, but wasn't able to, and hence filed suit just before the statute of limitations would have expired, in December 2001.

The good news is that your defense should be provided by auto insurance. If you owned a car at the time of the accident, the policy on that car would protect you. If not, but you lived with a family member who owned a car, you're probably insured under that policy. If that isn't available, then you'd be insured under the ex-boyfriend's policy. (He was insured, wasn't he?).

Liability insurance generally follows the person, not the vehicle, and if multiple layers apply, sometimes they can be stacked up.

Whatever the case, you should notify the proper insurance company, send them a copy of the suit papers, and they will hire a lawyer for you.

Read more
Answered on 1/03/02, 8:23 am

Re: Automobile Lawsuit

Dear Lawguru Participant:

Concerning your 1/2/02 posting, based upon the facts you have described, in Pennsylvania, the applicable automobile insurer is usually required to provide you with a lawyer to defend you. In the event that the vehicle you were driving was not covered by insurance and your own household did not have a vehicle covered by insurance at the time of the accident, I might be able to give you some suggestions as to how to proceed. In order to forward your inquiry in the right direction, I would need to know, among other things, the following:

1) County where lawsuit was filed;

2) Name, address, and phone number of attorney who started the lawsuit;

3) City where you reside; and

4) Location where accident occurred.

Best wishes for the New Year,

Dave Lubin

Read more
Answered on 1/03/02, 10:33 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Pennsylvania