Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Pennsylvania

I am having problems with my landlord he originally took us to court to evict us for a high sewer bill. The judge said to pay the bill or to get out. So we did pay the bill and our landlord gave us permission to stay. As directed by someone that is working with me through a doctors office we turned him into city hall for not doing the repairs to the house that he said he would which was causing a fire hazard. Since he got the letter from city hall stating that we turned him in he said that we had to move in order for him to do some of the work but that when he was done he wasn't letting us move back in. He said he would give us until the first week of November to find a place and to help us save up the money he would lower our rent to 150 dollars a month instead of us paying the full 300. When we went to pay it this month he said if we only paid the 150 dollars that we had to be out in two weeks so we paid the full 300. Now he is telling us we have to be out by the 15th of October. He has not served us an eviction letter and is just doing this to be spiteful because we turned him in, because he wouldn't fix the basement like we asked him to it has ruined a bunch of our things because of it flooding in even a small rain storm our things have mold and now have to be replaced. By law since he hasn't served us an eviction letter do we have to move just because he says it and is he responsible for replacing the items that have been ruined because of him not fixing things he was informed about?

Asked on 9/08/13, 6:47 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Davidson Law Office of John A. Davidson

The DJ will have no jurisdiction to hear the landlord's request for a writ of possession unless he has given you a notice to quit. Also he can't evict you in retaliation for reporting problems with the rental. I'm sure I could come up with several other things that are in your favor.


Read more
Answered on 9/09/13, 7:08 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Pennsylvania