Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Pennsylvania

We were going over our mortgage papers and noticed they have the wrong deed , now what?

Asked on 6/19/13, 8:14 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Is this a question of the mortgage company holding a mortgage on some property other than yours or is the problem simply that the mortgage lender sent you the wrong deed?

Start by checking with the recorder of deeds' office in the county where the land is located. Many counties are online but if you cannot locate the deed then go to the recorder's office and look up the deed to the property. Search under the prior owner's names as grantor to see if there is a deed from the prior owner to you. If there is, see if a mortgage is then recorded on your property. If it is, then you are fine and someone at the mortgage company messed up. You can make copies of the recorded documents and if you choose you might want to contact the mortgage lender.

If you cannot find your deed and mortgage, then there may be a problem. Who was your closing attorney? Start there and see what the attorney has to say and make sure that the attorney did the job properly from his/her end. Also contact the mortgage lender and advise of the problem. If the mortgage lender messed up and did not record the mortgage on your property they will have to get this in place.

Read more
Answered on 6/20/13, 7:27 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Pennsylvania