Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Pennsylvania

I am executor on my father's will. He lives in PA. I am in NC but can't travel due to health issues. He has no assessts except a very small bank account (under $1,000). I am sole heir. I know I don't need probate, but what do I legally need to do when he passes.

Asked on 10/13/23, 6:33 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Richard Bryan Richard Bryan Attorney PC

Who is going to take care of your father's funeral and memorial service? With regards to being executor of your father's will, legally you can refuse to act and not do anything. However, most people would say you have an ethical responsibility to wrap up your father's affairs, including collecting his bank account money and notifying the utilities he passed and shutting off his cell phone service. You are not personally responsible for any outstanding debts, although the credit card companies will try to bully you and trick you into paying his bills. But if your health is at issue, maybe it's best not to get involved at all.

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 10/16/23, 7:18 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Pennsylvania